Saturday, September 22, 2012

Officially A Jersey Girl: my first Bruce Springsteen concert

Yesterday was the last day of summer 2012 and I attended my first Bruce Springsteen concert, ever. What better place to see my first Springsteen concert than New Jersey (in the pit!)?




I love Bruce, he's a rock icon, but I felt like some sort of fraud at last night's concert. It was evident to me that I was surrounded by thousands of Bruce fans who had been to at least 5 Bruce shows this year if not every Bruce show. His fans knew every lyric, every inside joke, they acted out his fist pump moves before he did. At one point he asked the crowd if there was anyone who had never seen the E Street Band before.... and I screamed my face off... pretty sure I was the only one. And he said "ok well we are going to make sure you have a great time tonight". Nothing like letting everyone know you aren't part of their club!




He couldn't be more deserving of these super fans... Bruce Springsteen is the hardest working concert performer I have ever seen. He gave the crowd every ounce of energy he had, neck veins throbbed as he belted out the lyrics of his classic songs and the sweat was flooding down him. I am not exaggerating the sweat- within 10 minutes of the concert Springsteen was soaked head to toe and the sweat was not dripping, it was pouring off of him. A few times during the concert I found myself wanting him to take a break because I was worried about him. I wanted to tell him to towel off, change into some dry clothes and take a breather. I felt guilty for just standing there while he ran circles around MetLife Stadium putting on such an amazing show!

Below is a video that I thought was pretty cool. It's an animated heat map of Bruce Springsteen's touring locations from 1973 to 2012 created by The Timoney Group.




Thank you to my fiancĂ© for taking me to see this awesome show for my birthday. And thank you to Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band for putting on such an amazing show!
xo Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment