Thursday, July 14, 2011

critter-cakes for a cause

My wicked-smart boyfriend works for a technology and defense company here in NJ. His company does a lot of fundraisers. One woman that organizes many of these events decided to have one to support the troops and she approached JT (my bf) asking him if he would participate in a bake sale. He replied yes, partly because he knew it was for a great cause and partly because he knows I love any chance I get to play with flour, sugar, butter and CANDY!

I decided to make cupcakes (of course!) and knowing that the company has a lot of men working there I decided to make Critter-Cakes (from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes, this is a great book!) with bright gooey atomic green frosting and lots of candy! The fun part of making these is the decorating!

candy used:
jelly belly jelly beans
butterfly gummi candy
peach gummi rings
apple gummi rings
large and small gumdrops
sour gummi worms
large and small marshmallows 
fruit by the foot
m&m's
twizzlers pull & peel

For coloring batter and frosting, I highly recommend Williams-Sonoma Food Paste Set. The colors come out beautiful!

I divided some of the cake batter into bowls to make colored batter and then dropped a spoonful into the tins at a time, alternating colors. It gives the cake a tie-dye effect.

Bald little cuties :)

creepy little cuties

I used fruit by the foot to make the tongue, and lightly scored it down the center to make a "tongue crease".

I decided to make a few cupcakes that were more feminine with pretty pink and lavender frosting!:)


I made a few sugar cookie cut outs to decorate the cupcakes.




I had a lot of fun making these and what I love even more is that they are not going to my hips, they are going to a good cause! Hope the bake sale is a huge success! xo Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment