Thursday, December 5, 2013

Making A Gingerbread House


I decided I needed to build a gingerbread house this year... from scratch! It was a little intimidating at first because I had to draw out my own template to cut the pieces and I was that girl in school who had 3 math tutors spoon feed me my math lessons and I still never really got it. But I did manage to measure out everything correctly! Even with perfect measuring, it changes in the oven a bit and ended up far from perfect. I found that icing fixes everything!




I wanted to make a candy glass door for the front of my house. I cut out the door shape and then filled the center of it with crushed Jolly Rancher candy before baking it. 

Candy glass!

The chimney pieces... my house had to have a fireplace! ;)

I used jars and cans to support the walls while the icing dried.


I let the house dry overnight before decorating to make sure it was able to support the gobs of icing and candy I planned on putting on the roof.

I picked up the candy from Bitter Sweet Stop in Wood Ridge, NJ- they hooked me up!






Our gingerbread house :)

Gingerbread Lizzie

Gingerbread JT




Mike & Ike candies made the perfect "bricks"!


Candy button pathway to the door


This house was a ton of work, but it was fun work! A perfect start to the holidays!
xo Lizzie








No comments:

Post a Comment